Follow these instructions to apply for Non-Habitual Resident (NHR) status with the Portuguese tax office.
Sign up for a consultation with a Portuguese tax lawyer to get a comprehensive overview of Portugal's NHR tax regime and learn how it impacts your income sources.
Sign up for an NHR Tax Consultation ->
A tax filing service designed for foreigners living in Portugal – comprehensive, straightforward, and professional.
Secure your spot for our 2023 Portugal tax filing service->
Portugal’s Non-Habitual Residence (NHR) tax regime provides tax benefits to attract new and former Portuguese residents. NHR lasts for a period of 10 years and you can easily apply for it using Portugal’s tax office website, Portal das Finanças.
Follow this guide if you want to register for Portugal’s NHR tax regime. The deadline to apply for NHR status is March 31 the year after you become a Portuguese tax resident.
In order to qualify for NHR, you must satisfy the following conditions:
Note: Unfortunately, minors under 18 years old cannot apply for Portugal’s NHR regime through the Tax Office Portal. In order to submit an application for a minor, we recommend that you seek advice from an account/lawyer or contact the Tax office directly.
*Follow our guide - How to update your Portugal NIF address on Portal das Finanças
2. Click on the Iniciar Sessão button at the top right corner of the page.
3. Click on the NIF tab.
4. Enter your NIF number. Where can I find my NIF number?
5. Enter your password. When will I receive my password?
6. Click the Autenticar button.
1. Using the search bar at the top of the page, search for the keyword residente não habitual.
2. Find “Residente Não Habitual” and click Aceder.
1. Click the Entregar Pedido button.
2. Confirm your address
Your Portuguese address on file will automatically be filled in. If the information is correct, you don’t need to do anything. If you notice any errors, please get in touch with the Tax Office.
3. Complete the form
Under Dados do Pedido, fill in the following fields:
Ano de inicio
Select the year that you updated your NIF with your Portuguese address. Which year do I select when applying for NHR?
País de Residência Estrangeiro
Indicate your country of residence prior to moving to Portugal
Leave this field empty. Learn why here.
Declaro, sob compromisso de honra, que reúno os requisitos para ser considerado não residente nos cinco anos anteriores ao ano pretendido para o início do estatuto não habitual. As falsas declarações são puníveis nos termos da lei.
Tick the checkbox
4. Click the Submeter button to submit your request.
5. Click the Exportar button.
6. Save a copy of the confirmation screen.
7. Wait for 1-2 business days before proceeding to the next step.
Note: Customers have reported delays when submitting requests near the March 31 deadline. Keep in mind that processing times may vary based on the tax office's capacity.
1. Log in to Portal das Finanças.
2. Navigate to the NHR section (see Step 2).
3. Under Consultar, click the Consultar Pedidos button.
4. Find your request and confirm that your NHR status is Deferido.
Your NHR status will be listed under "Estado” and should say “Deferido” which translates to “Granted” in English. Congratulations, your NHR registration was successful! 🎉
5. Click the magnifying glass icon under Detalhe.
6. After the new page loads, click the Comprovativo button at the bottom of the page.
7. Download your NHR Registration Document!
The title of the document should be Pedido de Inscrição.